Metairie Ridge Presbyterian Church began as a Sunday school in 1913 in response to a perceived need for children of Protestant parents in the area to receive a formal Christian education. It originally met in a home on Metairie Road near Stella Street, but within six months the school had outgrown that space and moved into the two-room wooden school building on the site of the present Metairie Middle School. In 1919 land was purchased at Codifer Boulevard and Phosphor Avenue, and in 1920 the Presbytery of New Orleans approved the official organization the Metairie Ridge Presbyterian Church with 51 charter members. Construction began on a church building on the land in 1922, and the building was dedicated in 1924.
The only Presbyterian Church in the area, MRPC grew steadily. In 1934, a vested choir was established to lead worship. In the early 1950s, an associate pastor was called, in 1951 an education building was built, and by 1954, membership had grown to the point that a second service was added. In the late 1950s, the Hugo fellowship hall was added to accommodate large congregational gatherings. It was decided that a larger sanctuary was also necessary, and the cornerstone of the present building was laid in March of 1957, with the first service held there in June of that year. A growing Church School necessitated the building of a new education wing, called the Bracey building, which was dedicated in 1965.